Sunday 27 April 2008

Turf Moor season comes to an entertaining finish

Many may have been forgiven for expecting a boring, nothing to play for game between the Clarets and Cardiff City on Saturday. However, the 10,700 that filled Turf Moor certainly got entertainment for their money.

The game itself produced six goals, and Burnley twice squandered leads. Alexander and Cole had put the Clarets 2-0 up. The Bluebirds bounced back to 2-2, before Clarke Carlisle looked to have won it. It wasn't to be though and Burnley were forced to end their home campaign with, probably a fair, 3-3 draw.

The entertainment levels soared when Darren Purse took a chunk out of Andrew Cole's leg with a high challenge. Purse left the field to amusing chants of 'you're not going to Wembley', and he was swiftly followed by Cole who in turn was pursued by two Cardiff players, two Burnley players and the Lancashire police! Owen Coyle summed it up perfectly as a scene from a Benny Hill show!

It was certainly surreal to watch, and unlike anything I have ever seen in thirteen years as a Claret! To have been a fly on the wall in that tunnel...

Andrew Cole was not happy with the challenge or Dave Jones' comments about his role in the red card:

“Nothing happened in the tunnel unfortunately, but I did go after him (Purse). I am not going to fib about it,” said Cole.

“He is a muppet. He cannot even play anyway. I am furious about it. It is one of the worst tackles I have had in my career on me. I am disgusted he said I went over the ball. Just look at my leg.”

Cole also blasted Jones after the City boss said he thought Purse’s red card was harsh and that Cole needed to ‘take a look at himself’ following the way he reacted to the incident.

“I cannot believe Dave Jones said that about it,” fumed Cole.

“I have been a professional player with a career over 18 years. I don’t need to have a look at myself, Dave Jones needs to go and have a look at himself. I cannot believe it really.”

Cole revealed he was planning to consider his future in the game at the end of the season, but believed he had been left with a score to settle.

Cole ranted: “I adore playing football so I don’t know about retirement, but if I play only two games next season I hope it is home and away to Cardiff.”

Watch the Darren Purse challenge on Andrew Cole below...



The usual crowd flowed onto the pitch at the final whistle, and it was hard not to laugh at the stewards trying to stop them getting on to the pitch, largely unsuccessfully.

So that is that, the curtain has closed on another season at Turf Moor. Looking back it has to be said that the season has not been as bad as one might think. Yes, we did fall out of contention for a play-off place, but try not to forget that we will have our best league finish in six years.

Now is time to look forward to a summer of strengthening and hopefully another promotion push next season. Let's get Palace out the way and look forward to August.


Up the Clarets!

(Picture taken from http://www.burnleyfc.com/ of Andrew Cole's injury)

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Have you thought about registering on Technorati? Might generate you a bit more traffic, at the moment I'm the only BFC blog listed.

Can't say I've noticed me getting any more visitors since I signed up but it has to be worth a shot.

Horrible tackle by Purse, hope the Welsh FA extend his ban, no way he deserves to play in the cup final after that 'tackle'.